- 200g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) butter, softened and cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 1 medium egg
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 x 500g pack ready to roll white fondant icing
- 2 tbsp seedless jam
- black writing icing
- orange colouring or orange fondant icing
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 180°C, fan 160°C. Place the flour into a mixing bowl with the sugar and mix together. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips to form fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively whizz in a food mixer. Add the egg and mix well to bind into a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 4mm thickness and stamp out 8 x 11cm rounds, 8 x 8cm rounds and 8 x 5cm rounds, placing onto 2 lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 8-12 mins until the edges just turn golden and the centre is still pale. The small biscuits will cook quicker than the large biscuits so watch them carefully during cooking and take out when ready.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack. Roll out the fondant icing on a surface lightly coated with cornflour, to a thickness of approx 4mm and, using the same cutters, stamp out the same sizes and quantity of rounds as the biscuits.
- Lightly brush the tops of each of the biscuits with a very thin layer of the jam right to the edges and place the relevant icing circles onto the same size biscuits.
- Now place all the large 11cm iced biscuits onto a board and top with a tiny smear of jam in the centre. Then top with the 8cm iced biscuit and again top with a tiny smear of the jam in the centre, then top with the 5cm iced biscuits to make the snowmen. Draw faces on each using black writing icing and make tiny carrot noses with any icing remnants coloured orange or ready made orange icing.
Please send in pictures of your finished stacking snowmen biscuits! We would love to see them.